Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thing #16 Wikis

I created my first wiki about two years ago. I couldn't keep it up so I let it go. Wikis are a great way to check for understanding. A good way to do this is to assign each student in a particular class a number. They are to place their assigned number at the end of each response. This helps keep everything anonymous. Anonymity helps as some kids have difficulty writing. This can cause complaints and unintentional negative criticism. This approach helped keep things moving.

The other thing you have teach is how to link or attach effectively. If not, every other word could be a link. Kids can really get creative with images, color and fonts.

I used wiki matrix to help chose a wiki that met my needs. This site was very helpful. It allows you to compare all the wiki engines currently available. I found Wikispaces to be the most user-friendly. It had a feature that allowed the public to view but not respond. I wanted to limit vandalism and protect the students.

No comments: