Saturday, November 28, 2009

Evaluation

My favorite discovery this time was with Second Life. They have really come along with explaining how to participate in that world. The site owners offered really nothing in terms of access a few years back. Now, I felt comfortable going in because I understood what to do before hand. I printed the pdf and went into the help world before actually visiting the different lands. They have really improved that site! I plan to use it more.

Library "Play 1", in my opinion was geared more for the elementary level learners. "Play 2" was for the middle to high school students. As an adult, "Play 2" appealed to me not just professionally but personally. I could use Skype, Twitter, YouTube in my daily life. So I appreciated the personal/professional learning that I received. This encouraged me to search out for other web 2.0 + tools to use in both areas. Back with "Play 1", I found a website I now use quite a bit, http://www.go2web20.net/. Doing these exercises have made me seek out sites for myself, family and school evironment.

What was unexpected but a good thing is that I felt "less" spoonfed with "Play 2". With "Play 1", it not necessarily being a bad thing because anytime something is new we want to make sure others are successful, everything was spelled out. With "Play 2" you had to read and figure things out yourself. What was great was that just enough information was provided for you to do so. The creators I realized knew what they were doing and actually took to heart the suggestions made with Play 1. I thought about this while completing the exercises.

What I would do the next time is allow participants to select one or two of the tools and make tutorials using Camstudio, etc. In doing this we can have something to give to the teachers, develop a library and share them with others via TeacherTube. Maybe we could work in groups so that we are not so redundant. We truly would have something to take away! Also, we would meet the StarChart requirement that requires us to provide this type of learning.

No comments: